My career has been long and varied. I have studied with, observed, played alongside, and taught flutists from all over the world – flutists of all levels and abilities. My quest for “perfect knowledge of music and instrument”, as quoted by Alain Marion (and used here with a wry wink), has been filled with the very obstacles my workshops address. For a full-color printable flyer, click here.
Learn to Sing Through Your Flute
LISTEN! is a 90-minute interactive class that references many exercises found in the bibles of flute playing – de la Sonorité and Tone Development through Interpretation by Marcel Moyse.
serious flute players, including professionals.
- Participants read and record simple melodies in front of their classmates and put them aside for later comparison.
- Next, a series of imitative vibrato exercises draws participants’ awareness to their tone and air stream.
- Returning to our melody, we strip it of all nuances – vibrato, dynamics, and direction.
- We add nuances back, layer by layer – as my students like to say, “Let’s Moyse it!“
- Next, we listen to recordings of renowned singers and observe the liberties they take with the phrasing of operatic arias.
- Once “Moysed”, we re-record our melody.
- When we compare our final interpretation with our first, the benefits of the workshop will be clear.
Don and I have often talked about vibrato and have been surprised to share such similar thoughts. To me, it’s a seasoning, to be applied strategically, in varying intensities as appropriate, not to be spread over everything. ~ Scott Cantrell, classical music critic, The Dallas Morning News
LISTEN! is not intended to prescribe a certain way of playing; rather, its goal is to add a level of awareness to one’s use of vibrato and other nuance tools.
Learn to Play with Ease and Freedom
THINK! is a 90-minute interactive approach to smoothing one’s flute playing by removing knots, or kinks. Per my former teacher Alain Marion, playing the flute is comprised of three things – TONE, FINGERS, and TONGUE. One might argue there are other challenges, such as breathing, phrasing, intonation, rhythm, and so on, but THINK! will focus primarily on these key components.
middle school through professional.
- Participants isolate key variables and focus on them one at a time. Original exercises are used, as well as others from classic flute methods by Taffanel & Gaubert, Reichert, and Moyse (purchase not required for the class).
- Next, we focus on creative, intuitive, efficient practice. We will be tasked with DEFINING practice, knowing WHAT to practice, and learning HOW to practice.
- Technical passages will be analyzed, dissected, displaced, grouped, looped, ritarded, and rebuilt for consistency and accuracy.
THINK! can be customized to include practice tips for Region and All-State audition music.